Water Issues

Off-topic general chat. Talk about anything here.
slinkyslater
Forum contributor

Water Issues

Post by slinkyslater » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:59 am

something that has been bothering victoria we are running out of water i just wanted to open a topic to gather other peoples opinions of what will end up happening.

i do my part to some extent we use white water on the gardens.

we also have a rainwater tank.

what else can you really do? :?:

Dv8
Respected contributor

Post by Dv8 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:57 pm

The water problem is the same in SA, we have tight restrictions on at the moment. No sprinklers allowed at all now except for one day on the weekend... I rent so I can't do too much in the way of "waterwising" the place I live in unfortunately. One good tip I did hear and use was to pile on buttloads of mulch onto the garden to help trap in what little moisture there is in the soil... really pile it on, there was mulch on the garden beforehand but it wasn't enough... That would cut down on the white water needed for the garden and which you could then use in a home desalination unit which I saw on ACA or Today Tonight recently. That will turn your white water into drinking water etc but your looking at something like $2000 for one I think... anyway that's all I can suggest at the mo, interesting topic btw well done for bringing it up ;)

slinkyslater
Forum contributor

Post by slinkyslater » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:37 am

yeah we have level 4 resrictions so you can't water the garden except on one day and we even have some water police roaming the streets to see if anyone is wasting water
My posts don't mean anything...oh well

69Charger
Respected Uploader

Post by 69Charger » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:00 am

What we do in our house is when we have a shower,we put as bucket underneath so at least we catch SOME water,not all of it goes down the drain.With the water in the bucket,we use this in the gardens.
Credit to all original Posters / Scanners / Cappers..... and Thankers.

bennobee1
Respected Uploader

Post by bennobee1 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:27 am

Low flow shower heads, buckets in the shower and getting all grey water from the shower, dish washer and washing machine are all good. Rain water tanks are also good. 3 minute shows also manage to help drop the water usage.

I am amazed by the number of idiots who still think they can waste water when we have such shortages of it.

Dv8
Respected contributor

Post by Dv8 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:03 am

Its been raining non stop ever since I posted the above reply... two days of constant rain so far ;) I hope it hits the catchment areas... Level 3 water restrictions in SA btw

slinkyslater
Forum contributor

Post by slinkyslater » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:57 am

yeah i been raining the past 2 days which should help our water catchment areas and also i has filled my rainwater tank back up and topped my pool back up as well...cool

bennobee1
Respected Uploader

Post by bennobee1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:49 am

seems like no rain or very little fell in the melbourne catchments. like 8 mm or so (need like 1000 times that in the area to have a nice effect and lift the restrictions).

slinkyslater
Forum contributor

Post by slinkyslater » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:49 am

bugger, guess we are screwed in the long run... :(

mr_pleasure_31
Forum contributor

Post by mr_pleasure_31 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:09 pm

well its pretty dry here in qld...about 4 hrs west of brissie and no rain in site...no water in the river either...it amazes me that wollies is having a national drought day to support the farmers!....if they just paid the farmers a bit more for there crops instead of charging the consumers like a wounded bull then that would help farmers all year round instead of a one off event..anyway thats just my opinion..lol

orcon
Making some noise

Post by orcon » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:32 am

yep even worse in geelong, catchments are nearing 15% capacity, we arent allowed to water any plants or gardens except with greywater, and were not allowed to fill our pools.
we are worse off than melbourne.

mr_pleasure_31
Forum contributor

Post by mr_pleasure_31 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:59 am

its pretty bad here in qld...we have been on water restrictions for nearly 2 yrs...we cant use any water on the gardens at all not even buckets..we can use only the grey water from the washing machine for plants. even after all this hard ship woolworths are still paying the same prices for fruit and veges that they did ten years ago...such a monopoly by two companies...woolies and coles...should never be allowed to exist..and now i hear they are going into the banking sector..omg will it never end

bennobee1
Respected Uploader

Post by bennobee1 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:34 am

orcon wrote:yep even worse in geelong, catchments are nearing 15% capacity, we arent allowed to water any plants or gardens except with greywater, and were not allowed to fill our pools.
we are worse off than melbourne.
thats correct, you guys are on stage 4 we are on stage 3, thats next for us if this promised rain dont come in a month or two.

Return to “General Chat”