Ten's new plans a low blow to many HD fans

Off-topic general chat. Talk about anything here.
xs4t5
Forum contributor

Ten's new plans a low blow to many HD fans

Post by xs4t5 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi guys, :( This is an article I found and am really really pissed.. :evil:

So I want to share it with you all.

I really want many of you to complain to Channel TEN. I know that if they receive enough complaints it will make a difference... so please use the links provided below:

http://ten.com.au/contact-us.htm
http://ten.com.au/media/0610_COMPLAINT_ ... ite)_1.doc

(Source):http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/bu ... 82,00.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TEN'S most popular shows including Australian Idol, House and Rove will no longer be available in high definition when the network launches its dedicated sports channel ONE in April.

The entire schedule on the current Ten-HD channel will be dropped next year, disappointing fans of programs, which are now shot in HD and simulcast, such as local police drama Rush and overseas favourites Life, NCIS, and Supernatural.

Early last week Ten unveiled its new digital multi-channel ONE and news of the country's first new commercial free-to-air channel in 50 years was favourably received.

However, the fate of the current Ten-HD channel was not addressed.

And many of Ten's viewers may feel betrayed because they updated their equipment to watch their favourite Ten shows in high-definition.

The station promo for Ten-HD "I can see clearly now" advertises general programming which will no longer be available. As well as simulcasting, Ten-HD also screens repeats of the news bulletins, time-shifted episodes of Neighbours and a special Thursday night science fiction slot which is very successful.

Also disappearing will be shows which have been dropped from Ten's main channel but have found a home on Ten HD, like Torchwood, Battlestar Galactica, Eureka, One Tree Hill and Friday Night Lights.

Shows important to Ten's schedule such as 9am with David and Kim, Oprah Winfrey and The Late Show with David Letterman can all now be seen in high definition.

The future of the local HD productions such as Rove, Idol, 5th Grader and Good News Week, which are specifically shot in HD, remains unclear.

Fans of the current Ten-HD schedule have posted their dismay online. "What a slap in the face to sci-fi fans whose shows have all but completely been pushed on to Ten-HD," one wrote. "We went out and upgraded our equipment, ran around telling people that 10 was doing a far better job than 7 and 9 in use of their HD channel and now this is what we get. What are we supposed to do with all that equipment now?"

And this post on Ten's own website HD forum: "Surely all of the great content already on, as well as better viewing for Australian shows, won't be thrown in the rubbish just to show 24-hour sport?"

Industry sources estimate the new channel is costing Ten more than $20 million to launch including program acquisitions.

Another challenge ONE will face is that the only new programs it can show will have to come from the sports not on the anti-siphoning list because all sports on the list have to screen on Ten before they are shown on ONE, or shown simultaneously. Sports not on the list will likely appeal to a niche market only.

Among the sports Ten will be able to show are AFL, netball, Commonwealth Games, cricket, Formula 1, Moto GP and Nascar, tennis golf and from next year Ten will be the exclusive broadcaster for Swimming Australia.

A spokeswoman for Ten confirmed the current Ten-HD schedule would disappear but said Ten's shows would continue to be available "in great quality standard definition digital for those who have a digital receiver".

"As always, the schedule will be made up of those shows we believe our audience will most enjoy."

She said local productions would continue to be shot in digital but programs like Rove would now only be available in standard definition.

"Sport is particularly well-suited to HD, as such a large amount of content is produced in HD, and of course it provides the ability to enjoy the intense detail of the action at its very best.

"Sport is one of the most popular forms of content on TV, and will clearly help drive the take up of digital TV viewing," she said.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SKaVeN
Respected contributor

Re: Ten's new plans a low blow to many HD fans

Post by SKaVeN » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:15 pm

I hate all those star search superstar dancer/singer wannabe shows so I shed no tears for them. However, I do love my scifi so I am a bit pissed off about that! Commercial networks have made something of a tradition of treating the genre like shit. I knew this would happen to Torchwood the day I found out Channel Ten procured the rights instead of the ABC. I don't know why. They never seemed to demonstrate any inclination in giving the show a chance...
The difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I couldn't care less.

Bob2000
Respected Uploader

Post by Bob2000 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:44 pm

Odd isn't how Sport is chosen over SCI-FI. The other thing is that Sport currently takes up a lot of T.V time (think, Aus Open, Cricket, Footy)

Pheus
Forum contributor

Post by Pheus » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:45 am

none of that crap is on channel 10 anyway bob2000. all this really means is that I now how to download smalville and battlestar

*edit* that said i will miss watching the HD shows like life and house in HD

billyboy666
Respected contributor

Post by billyboy666 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 am

Was weird trying to watch Dexter in HD last night, only to find ESPN basketball.
Pretty sure Dexter would have gotten better ratings.

While I don't like the situation, I will admit though that a dedicated HD sports channel will be good for digital tv uptake.
I imagine HD sport coverage is something that will get some people who have been avoiding digital tv to finally buy a HD STB.

djmenow
Forum contributor

Post by djmenow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:17 pm

It is good to see basketball on FTA and it is so good to see it crystal clear on HD.

We need more of it.

weirdo.logic
Respected contributor

Post by weirdo.logic » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:18 pm

billyboy666 wrote:Was weird trying to watch Dexter in HD last night, only to find ESPN basketball.
Pretty sure Dexter would have gotten better ratings.
Dexter wasn't HD last year was it?

I seem to recall 10 running the F1 races 'live' on HD whilst Dexter was on SD with the F1 shown after it.
If you can click the link to the file, you can click the 'ThankPost' Button.

Return to “General Chat”