Online Security - Best software to use?

Off-topic general chat. Talk about anything here.
Dv8
Respected contributor

Online Security - Best software to use?

Post by Dv8 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 am

I wanted to find out what people here think is the best program or combination of programs to use to protect oneself online... and also to help anyone that isn't doing enough to do more to keep their computer secure

I personally like the following free software -
Anti Virus program - Avast
Anti-Malware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Anti-Spyware - CCleaner

Anyway run a full scan with the above utilities and you might find that your current software has possibly missed a few things. Btw CCleaner also has a great little Registry fixing/cleaning tool that can help keep your computer running smooth so be sure to give that a go as well...

If you're really paranoid about installing any of these programs then download them from FileHippo ...For those that don't know about FileHippo, they're a mob who provide alternative download links to freely available software (freeware), but have also verified that the software does not contain any viruses, malware, spyware etc... You can get the awesome video codec pack 'K-Lite' from them as well ;)

Another program I also like to use for P2P Protection is Peerblock, which acts as a kind of Firewall... be sure to add the extra lists that aren't checked by default in the settings...

If anyone has any other worthwhile suggestions please post them here, cheers...

boofhead10
Making some noise

Re: Online Security - Best software to use?

Post by boofhead10 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:55 pm

And using a standard or limited user can also help. Remember AVs can only protect you from what they know about. Don't forget to use a good backup system. You never know if you accidentally delete a file, something goes rogue or hardware dies.

Dv8
Respected contributor

Post by Dv8 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:20 pm

A standard or limited user? ...what do you mean, explain yourself man :)

yes Anti Virus programs can only protect you from what they know about, which is why I suggest you use a reputable one, like Avast or something similar. It might not catch everything either but it does a better job than most, and that's why i run scans with different programs every now and then too, just to make sure nothing slips through the net...

Yeah backing up is always good practice of course but you're getting a bit off topic... Although if you want to relate it to computer security etc, even if you delete a file it is not truly gone until the space it occupied on your hard drive is rewritten... usually multiple times before it becomes unrecoverable. A reformat does nothing in the way of truly deleting your old files either... Try it yourself using a good file recovery program like Active@FileRecovery http://www.file-recovery.net/

...anyway that's where programs like CCleaner or 'Webroot Windows Washer' are useful ...they can bleach/scrub your empty hard-drive space to a point where the deleted file is completely unrecoverable, or even scrub your entire drive clean if you want. So if you ever sell or throw away something that contains a storage device, you might want to run a program like that first just to be safe...

I know most people know this sort of basic stuff but it's surprising/alarming how many don't... this thread is intended for the latter ;)

SKaVeN
Respected contributor

Post by SKaVeN » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:40 am

Dv8 wrote:I wanted to find out what people here think is the best program or combination of programs to use to protect oneself online... and also to help anyone that isn't doing enough to do more to keep their computer secure

I personally like the following free software -
Anti Virus program - Avast
Anti-Malware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Anti-Spyware - CCleaner
I agree for the first two but for spyware I recommend SuperAntiSpyware. There's a freeware version but if you go to the torrent sites & find a cracked full version you can set it do do scheduled full system scans.
The difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I couldn't care less.

Dv8
Respected contributor

Post by Dv8 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:33 am

Yeah maybe I shouldn't have called CCleaner Anti-Spyware, even though it does do that... they call it a "System Tuning" utility... but it is still worth having installed no doubt.
CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and f...
CCleaner is the most popular program FileHippo offer as you can see on their front page (or here)... for a reason ;) Malwarebytes Anti-Malware cleans out spyware as well... those two programs together do a very good job...
SKaVeN wrote:I agree for the first two but for spyware I recommend SuperAntiSpyware.
SuperAntiSpyware is ok, i've used that before. I used to fire it up straight after I did a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware just to see if it missed anything... Now I use the latter because it never did ;)
SKaVeN wrote:There's a freeware version but if you go to the torrent sites & find a cracked full version you can set it do do scheduled full system scans.
wow SKaVeN I don't mean to be harsh but that's just a plain silly suggestion and is asking for trouble... hackers like to mess with the program code, obviously, then release it as a nullified cracked version on a torrent site... but who knows what exploits/holes they've opened in that cracked version that's designed especially for their use... the type of stuff that gets straight past an Anti-Virus program, depending on the hackers skills. It might just be nullified, but they might also have gone beyond that... even a plain serial number crack can get ugly. I've heard of programs being made to degrade over time by the authors if a false serial has been found to be used...

I strongly advise that you do not install any protection/security type software that has been 'cracked'... let alone any type of cracked software.

rlupp
Forum contributor

Post by rlupp » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:41 pm

I now use Spybot Search and Destroy for anti-spy. A few months ago I had problems where a phony Windows Security program would pop up giving me false information like my firewall and automatic updates was turned off and then would run a false virus scan which I could not stop. I performed a system restore to before the problem started which luckily fixed this issue and then ran Malwarebytes and Avast Anti-Virus which showed no problems. On advice from a friend I installed Spybot Search and Destroy which found the fraudulent program and got rid of it.

Dv8
Respected contributor

Post by Dv8 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:27 am

I've used Spybot Search and Destroy in the past, it's a great program for sure but it has also been guilty of missing things on my system that other programs haven't... yes Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is by no means perfect of course, but unfortunately there is no single piece of software available that will catch absolutely everything ...which has already been mentioned in a few posts already... Any of the programs on this list would be fine to try out - http://www.filehippo.com/software/antim ... tispyware/

boofhead10
Making some noise

Post by boofhead10 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:52 am

Dv8 wrote:A standard or limited user? ...what do you mean, explain yourself man :)

Don't run as admin level. If anything gets through it then only does damage to the user account and not the the system. Yes, priv escalation exists but MS does patch what it can.

With good backup plans you can often get a system back to near how you want it in less than 1 hour.

Dv8
Respected contributor

Post by Dv8 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Yeah I see what you're saying now but it isn't 100% accurate from what I hear... even if a separate user account is created and then some Malware infects that account, depending on how well it is written it can also infect other accounts on the computer, including admin account/s... but a good suggestion anyway, it would stop some from getting into admin account system files, but not all... regardless of that you should have anti-malware, anti-virus etc installed and enabled for all user accounts on a system...

Return to “General Chat”