New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Off-topic general chat. Talk about anything here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Dv8
Respected contributor
Posts: 4466
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:38 am
Has thanked: 3110 times
Been thanked: 42622 times

New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Dv8 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:42 pm

A couple of new digital channels have started airing over the last week - 7mate and gem... 7mate is supposed to be a 'blokes' channel and gem is airing old school movies etc (?) ...Anyway about 2 weeks ago I noticed that my TV tuner card wasn't picking up 7HD anymore while all the other channels were still working properly. So I did a channel rescan and found 7HD again, along with their new channel 7mate and everything was all good once more. 7mate was scheduled to start it's regular program airing yesterday and since then all I am getting on 7HD is what's playing on 7mate :? Does anyone know whats going on there, is 7HD going the way of 10HD?

Max_TMP
Respected Uploader
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:07 am
Has thanked: 888 times
Been thanked: 1044 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Max_TMP » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:27 am

Yeah I found the same thing. I think they either stuffed up or it's another way of promoting the channel to anyone who might have missed the info. I don't think they know what they want, or it depends o the licensing from the govt.

I had read about GEM but didn't see any ads for it on Ch 9. Can't really understand why they put it on 9HD
"Just call me Max"

Rutzie
Respected contributor
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:08 am
Has thanked: 121 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Rutzie » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:55 pm

Unfortunately 7HD and 9HD are no more until at least 2013. 7HD is now 7mate and 9HD is now GEM. I believe they are only allowed to have one HD channel each until 2013.

User avatar
SKaVeN
Respected contributor
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:56 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by SKaVeN » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:17 pm

What I can't understand is, even though I've rescanned the channel tuner, whenever I press the info button on the remote it still says 70 & 90 are HD... Image
The difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I couldn't care less.

User avatar
Widescreen
Respected Uploader
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 805 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Widescreen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:34 pm

It seems ch 90 is now GEM, and in HD. Which is good for repeats of Getaway at least ... ;-)

spazzenger
Forum contributor
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:49 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by spazzenger » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:41 pm

Had a look through the guide for 7mate and it is totally crap. Would way rather be able to see the channel 7 babes in HD, but instead they're showing re runs of crap tv shows that no one watches. And for some reason in the 6am slot they will be showing CBS news or something.... Why do we need an American morning news show broadcast in HD over our own and why do we need to see an American morning news show in the first place? They have no clue..

rubix
Making some noise
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:28 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by rubix » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Hey guys, i read something about this yesterday. Yes it is true that 7HD and 9HD are no more and that there is a limit on the number of channels a network can have. However 7mate and GEM are not HD channels either or atleast theyre not broadcasted in HD. SBS is the only remaining network with a HD channel. As Rutzie said in his post this may change after 2013 when the analogue signal is turned off freeing up space and resources for more channels.

So as far as ive heard, no more HD content till 2013+ :-(

spazzenger
Forum contributor
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:49 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by spazzenger » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:45 pm

So basically we are going backwards?

User avatar
Strayan
Respected contributor
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 pm
Has thanked: 1007 times
Been thanked: 12501 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Strayan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:42 pm

Yep. The Gyngell/Leckie networks have decided in their wisdom to broadcast their own locally produced HD content downscaled to SD on the main channels (7 & 9) and use their HD quota for repeats, cartoons, sport and general American programs (more often than not in letterboxed 4:3). Amazing. Channel 10 must be giggling at this admission . . . .

Looks like old analogue brains just haven't caught up with the new digital world to me.

User avatar
Widescreen
Respected Uploader
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:52 pm
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 805 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Widescreen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:58 am

Hang on, GEM and 7mate *ARE* in HD. Yes 7mate has a lot of old crap but I was glad to see that they will be airing Caprica ... in HD. :)
Sci Fi in HD has been neglected for far too long...

User avatar
SKaVeN
Respected contributor
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:56 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by SKaVeN » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Widescreen wrote:Hang on, GEM and 7mate *ARE* in HD. Yes 7mate has a lot of old crap but I was glad to see that they will be airing Caprica ... in HD. :)
Sci Fi in HD has been neglected for far too long...
Agreed! I'm obviously the Lone Ranger around here in that I'm glad that 7mate is HD given some of the programmes they're going to be showing, like Caprica. I'd rather watch quality sci-fi series in HD with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound than all the Home & Away, the "all new" Australian prime-time soaps (which are all always police dramas), reality-TV & dancing, cooking & singing C-grade celebrities. Personally, I spend more time watching GO! & 7mate than 9 & 7.

I think Channel Sandra's the one that's being the most disappointing. I think ONE is a great idea but it's a waste of an HD band. I'd rather they made it SD & used the HD band for a channel like GO! or 7mate. Do we really need to see Latvian toad racing in HD? At least then they might've allowed us to see the remaining episodes of Torchwood (now on ABC2), Battlestar Galactica, Supernatural & (the rather unfortunate) **Stargate: Universe.

EDIT: **
The difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I couldn't care less.

spazzenger
Forum contributor
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue May 10, 2005 11:49 am
Has thanked: 80 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by spazzenger » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:42 pm

SKaVeN wrote:
Widescreen wrote:Hang on, GEM and 7mate *ARE* in HD. Yes 7mate has a lot of old crap but I was glad to see that they will be airing Caprica ... in HD. :)
Sci Fi in HD has been neglected for far too long...
Agreed! I'm obviously the Lone Ranger around here in that I'm glad that 7mate is HD given some of the programmes they're going to be showing, like Caprica. I'd rather watch quality sci-fi series in HD with 5.1 Dolby Digital sound than all the Home & Away, the "all new" Australian prime-time soaps (which are all always police dramas), reality-TV & dancing, cooking & singing C-grade celebrities. Personally, I spend more time watching GO! & 7mate than 9 & 7.

I think Channel Sandra's the one that's being the most disappointing. I think ONE is a great idea but it's a waste of an HD band. I'd rather they made it SD & used the HD band for a channel like GO! or 7mate. Do we really need to see Latvian toad racing in HD? At least then they might've allowed us to see the remaining episodes of Torchwood (now on ABC2), Battlestar Galactica & Supernatural.

And all the good stuff they have on one is on late at night, whilst in prime time they are showing fishing or something shithouse when they could be showing Arsenal or Liverpool tv, NBA, NFL... Its the most frustrating channel going around. I hate having to stay up so late to watch the premier league matches when at a decent hour they are showing nothing but shit.

rubix
Making some noise
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:28 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by rubix » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:48 am

OK so if mate and gem are broadcasting in HD then can ppl with non-HD set top boxes/tvs still be able to view the channels? if yes then how? if some programs are broadcast in HD then the standard def digital folk wont see them. Can someone clear this up for me? I thought the new shows on ten, nine, gem, mate, seven and 72 were HD but just scaled down and broadcast in SD digital for everyone...

xlr8
Respected contributor
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:50 am
Has thanked: 451 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by xlr8 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:15 am

Foxtel are listing their rebroadcasts of both of these new channels as HD only and have put them into the range of channels only accessible by HD subscribers.
I can view them on through the FTA broadcast only through the HD receiver in my TV and both are showing as full HD 1080 res input even when showing old programs that are barely SD (e.g. The Virginian, McHale's Navy)

User avatar
Dv8
Respected contributor
Posts: 4466
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:38 am
Has thanked: 3110 times
Been thanked: 42622 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Dv8 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Rutzie wrote:Unfortunately 7HD and 9HD are no more until at least 2013. 7HD is now 7mate and 9HD is now GEM. I believe they are only allowed to have one HD channel each until 2013.
Channel 10 have a new channel called he11o (11) entering the list shortly and I think it might be 1080i http://eleven.com.au/ ...So channel 10 get two HD channels and the rest 1 until 2013?

Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from. Pink Floyd 'Nobody Home'

User avatar
SKaVeN
Respected contributor
Posts: 203
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:56 pm
Has thanked: 3 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by SKaVeN » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:44 pm

You can look up each station on Wikipedia & it tells you there what channels they have coming, what they're going to be called, HD or SD, etc.
The difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know, and I couldn't care less.

Rutzie
Respected contributor
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:08 am
Has thanked: 121 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Rutzie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:47 am

Dv8 wrote:
Rutzie wrote:Unfortunately 7HD and 9HD are no more until at least 2013. 7HD is now 7mate and 9HD is now GEM. I believe they are only allowed to have one HD channel each until 2013.
Channel 10 have a new channel called he11o (11) entering the list shortly and I think it might be 1080i http://eleven.com.au/ ...So channel 10 get two HD channels and the rest 1 until 2013?

Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from. Pink Floyd 'Nobody Home'
Currently Ten have ONE as their HD channel and their second SD channel. I'm pretty sure 11 will be taking over the SD simulcast of ONE, which means ONE will be a HD only channel.

User avatar
Dv8
Respected contributor
Posts: 4466
Joined: Fri May 23, 2003 12:38 am
Has thanked: 3110 times
Been thanked: 42622 times

Re: New Australian digital free-to-air channels

Post by Dv8 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:16 am

...don't forget channel 11 launches tomorrow with their 1st program to air at 11am ;)

Post Reply

Return to “General Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests