Capture card advice

Off-topic general chat. Talk about anything here.
jackpotau
Forum contributor

Capture card advice

Post by jackpotau » Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:25 am

Gday guys, id like to contribute here and plan on buying a capture card early in the new year, does anyone have a suggestion for which card gives the best bang for buck ? I will be capping from fox digital, is it easy to hook up? Thanks 8)

billyboy666
Respected contributor

Re: Capture card advice

Post by billyboy666 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:15 am

jackpotau wrote:Gday guys, id like to contribute here and plan on buying a capture card early in the new year, does anyone have a suggestion for which card gives the best bang for buck ? I will be capping from fox digital, is it easy to hook up? Thanks 8)
Most of us capture free to air digital tv - which gives the best quality.
The problem with capping Foxtel is that even though it works on a digital system, there is no way of getting this digital signal into a computer.

Your best bet would be to capture the analog video output from the Foxtel set-top box. The quality won't be as good as pure digital capture, but should yield fairly good results is you stick to using an s-video cable.

You will need to buy some kind of analog capture device. Your options:
- Digital TV capture card with built-in analog tuner (if you plan on capping FTA tv as well)
- Analog only capture card (with or without a tv tuner built-in)
- Digital video camera with firewire and AV-in capability (needs a PC with a firewire port)
- Video card with Video-In-Video-Out (nVidia/ATi call this VIVO/AVIVO)

Examples of each:
- http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/Products/DVBTpro.aspx
- http://www.aver.com/2005home/product/vi ... rpci.shtml
- http://www.samsung.com/au/products/vide ... _d361i.asp
- http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prod ... Search.y=0

As you can see, each product has multiple uses.
What you choose will ultimately depend on what other features will be most useful to you.

hippyd
Respected Uploader

Post by hippyd » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:01 am

the guys with digital tv cap cards...do u only watch it on ya pc screen or can u have it connected to ya tv so u watch the signal on there? Was thinking of getting a new pc with cap card so i can connect to tv and record stuff and also use tv to view divx movies straight from pc....other words have a pc multimedia centre thingy

jackpotau
Forum contributor

Post by jackpotau » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Thanks very much for the info billy, all i have in my room is a satellite foxtel digital connection so i can only get channel 9 FTA. I'll look into it further... my video card is an ati x800gto

billyboy666
Respected contributor

Post by billyboy666 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:37 am

hippyd wrote:the guys with digital tv cap cards...do u only watch it on ya pc screen or can u have it connected to ya tv so u watch the signal on there? Was thinking of getting a new pc with cap card so i can connect to tv and record stuff and also use tv to view divx movies straight from pc....other words have a pc multimedia centre thingy
@hippyd: Many new video cards have component output (or even HDMI) these days.
Almost all decent new TVs will accept VGA or DVI input too.

So it's absolutely possible to use a PC + DTV card on a TV.

tpg
Respected contributor

Post by tpg » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:03 am

Thanks heaps for the info guys...

So do you'se recommend the FusionHDTV DVB-T Pro [that first link] to do a decent job?!?! (from an anolog source). Cause I'm picking it up on Monday and am gonna start cracking out some HD vids!!! Nikki Osborne watch out!!!

OR, does anyone else have a better alternative/value for money/better quality capture card for around $200 bucks?!?!

8)

billyboy666
Respected contributor

Post by billyboy666 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:26 am

The link I provided above are all options that include analogue input.
If you can live with just digital, you may want to consider:

- FusionHDTV DVB-T Lite (around $120-150)
- TwinHan VisionPlus VP3020C (around $75 - what I use)

Visit these sites:
http://forums.dvbowners.com/
http://www.dtvforum.info/

Make sure you read up about: BDA drivers, WebScheduler and other 3rd-party software.

quickurn
Respected contributor

Post by quickurn » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:34 am

Fusion cards are good, I own 2 Fusion Plus cards (not manufactured anymore unfortunately).

If you are looking at the DVico Fusion range then keep clear of the dual digital tuner cards, atleast for the time being, until they get the drivers sorted out.

I was looking at buying the fusion pro aswell...I'd be really interested to know how it performs if you get it..

tpg
Respected contributor

Post by tpg » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:02 am

Hey guys,

I've bought myself the Dvico Fusion card and it's kick ass -- I love it. The picture's crystal clear. The only trouble I have now is compressing the files - cause as expected the clips are like 50-200meg!!!

I've been using SUPER (a free compression tool) and although theres a shit load of options, I just cant seem to find a good format?!?! Can anynone tell me what settings or format is the best for quality/size?!?

Max_TMP
Respected Uploader

Post by Max_TMP » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:30 am

You really can't go past Dv8's conversion guide to get you going right.

You will also find ProjectX a damn useful tool if you get reception problems. This can cause the video to be out of sync with the audio.
It will separate the video and audio streams so they can be rerendered in sync. Very easy to do with VirtualDub.

billyboy666
Respected contributor

Post by billyboy666 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:37 am

Max_TMP wrote:You really can't go past Dv8's conversion guide to get you going right.
Agreed - VirtualDub-MPEG2 is excellent for basic edits and compression to AVI.

If you want to keep the vid in MPEG2 format and can stand some minor quality loss, try AviDemux2.
It can "requantize" an MPEG stream very quickly (a 2 hour video can be recompressed in about 10 minutes).

The following settings are good for getting recorded movies to fit on a DVD-R:
- Video - Mpeg2 Requant (click configure to select size ratio)
- Ratio should roughly equal (current size/target size) + 0.1
- Audio - Copy
- Format - MPEG PS A+V
- Save the file.

tpg
Respected contributor

Post by tpg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:04 am

Well I'm gonna lose my * mind!!!! I've tried both software - VirtualDub and AviDemux2, and no matter what I do the audio just shits itself and continues to lag hard!!!!

I honestly don't know what to try next?!?! I gues for now I'll just have to stick to fusion/Vegas/SUPER for now - the only downside is the files are large... averaging around 50Meg each. But thanks heaps for your help guys...

:roll:

quickurn
Respected contributor

Post by quickurn » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:06 pm

what do you do, step by step...are you recording the transport stream (.tp) and then using fusion converter and then into VDub or are you recording the mpeg2 then into VDub?....

tpg
Respected contributor

Post by tpg » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:55 pm

Okay,

What I'm doing right now - which seems to be the only "exceptable" way of doing it is:

I use Dvico Fusion HDTV Pro to record live signals straight to "capture native mpeg (.mpg)"

- and the reason I do this is because when I originally tried doing it in "capture transport stream (.tp)" I found I couldn't do anything with it - including dropping it into Vegas?!?!

Now back to the file...

Then depending on how big it is - cause currently in that form (.mpg) 2 minutes takes up about 200MB!!! - I then drop it into SUPER (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html) and use these settings.

Output Container: Avi
Output Video Codex: DivX
Output Audio Codex: Mp3
Encoder: ffmpeg
Video Scale Size: 640x368
Aspect: 16:9
Frame/Sec: 30
Bitrate: 2064

hehe, I know thats probably wrong but so far its the best (cleanest) settings I've found. THE OTHER alternative I've found [when I want to edit out stuff or just fool around with graphics, titles, etc] instead of throwing it into SUPER, I just drag and drop the Fusion Mpeg file straight into Vegas 6 and encode it that way - but again, I'm still to find a decent file size/quality system yet?!?!

For instance: all of the quizmania uploads I've done are via SUPER, while the Today Tonight clip I uploaded was through Vegas 6.

I've got, and have tried using VirtualDub and AviDemux2, but they both end up shitting themselves via audio - no matter what I try the audio just never comes out right - ALWAYS lagging heaps!?!? ...and they both look like really good software packages I wish I could use!!!

And before ANOTHER person tells me to follow the step in that tutorial, please, I think I've read them that many times that I know them by heart!! For me, they just don't work!!!

Any idea's? I gotta get this thing cranking properly before DWTS and BB later this year!!! LOL

8)

billyboy666
Respected contributor

Post by billyboy666 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:59 pm

It's possible that a bad audio/video frame is causing troubles in some programs.

Try passing the mpeg file through ProjectX or PvaStrumento.
These programs will strip out any bad frames and sync the audio.

PvaStrumento is easier to use, but ProjectX is more flexible and will allow you to do cuts on the file to choose which parts the output file contains.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video ... umento.cfm
http://sourceforge.net/projects/project-x

Or if you're willing to spend a little money, VideoRedo is possibly the best MPEG tools out there (supports TP files too).

For video conversion try AutoGordianKnot.
http://www.autogk.me.uk/

tpg
Respected contributor

Post by tpg » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:52 am

thanks for the help billyboy666 - will try it out.

tpg
Respected contributor

Post by tpg » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:15 am

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your help in the last few weeks. Well now, I thought if anyone would know... I'm actually getting foxtel digital (with IQ) slapped into my new place next week, and I wanted to know if anyone has it or knows if you can capture clips from it?!?!

As in right now I'm capturing shit off my HD card, via analogue aerial signal - but I was wondering if I'd be able to hook up the Foxtel box/signal --- or would my card pick up the extra channels?!?!? Cause now that would be sweet!!!!

:roll:

billyboy666
Respected contributor

Post by billyboy666 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:27 am

I'll assume you're using the FusionHDTV Pro card (which can tune into analogue channels)
What outputs does the Foxtel iQ box have?

* If it has an antenna out connection you can connect it directly to the FusionHDTV.

* If it has composite out (yellow,red & white PCA plugs) you will need an RF adaptor between the iQ and the FusionHDTV. A generic RF adaptor made for PSOne should work (and be fairly cheap).

* If it uses SCART output only, you'll need a SCART to composite cable as well (also known as SCART to VCR).

One all plugged in, the iQ box should tune in as a single analogue channel.

tpg
Respected contributor

Post by tpg » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:16 am

billyboy666 wrote:I'll assume you're using the FusionHDTV Pro card
Yep thats the one exactly - excellent, so I guess it will just find and tune itself to ALL the channels of foxtel (I'm hoping) via the antenna. Woohooo!!!

thanks billyboy666

billyboy666
Respected contributor

Post by billyboy666 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:23 am

TPG wrote:
billyboy666 wrote:I'll assume you're using the FusionHDTV Pro card
... so I guess it will just find and tune itself to ALL the channels of foxtel (I'm hoping) via the antenna.
The foxtel box will do all the tuning.
The capture card will be able to see the foxtel's analog video output (using one of the above mentioned cables).

This means the capture card will only see what the foxtel box is currently playing (live tv, timeshifted tv, recorded programs, menus and onscreen displays.)

Return to “General Chat”